Can you drink during meals with the DS?

BrendaMarie
on 8/7/12 9:00 am - Canada
 Hi All
I have read different things about drinking during a meal with the DS?  What is the general concensus? What do the DS vets say about this?
I appreciate your help.
larra
on 8/7/12 9:34 am - bay area, CA
Yes...well, not right at first, of course, but you will gradually be able to eat more and start sipping with meals. I drink water at every meal, and if you ate with me, you would not know that I had wls. I eat normal but smaller meals, and I drink water with meals. Mind you, I don't chug a lug, I drink normally, which is all you can ask for.

Larra
teachmid
on 8/7/12 10:28 am - OKC, OK
Yes, you can eat and drink together, just not early out.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

NoreenRT
on 8/7/12 11:27 am - Warner Robins, GA
sure you can drink while eating.  although, at first you may want to reserve the precious real estate (your new tiny tummy) for protein, then fluids after your meal. 

Noreen  HW 352 / SW 324 / CW 175/ LW/ 148 / GW 150   (achieved Aug 14 '11)

Grammo
on 8/7/12 2:15 pm - Nashville, TN

It took me some time, but I am almost at my three year anniversary and I eat and drink like a normy while happily maintaining my size 6!   You will have several months of "what did I do to myself?"   but you will eventually come around.

Grammo!
(Ticker includes 11.5 pounds lost on the two week pre-op liquid diet.)

High Weight (09-99) 294 DS Consult Weight (06-09)283 
                  Surgery Weight (8-11-09) 271.5 Goal Weight 130
mrsannie
on 8/7/12 9:22 pm
Yes!  As a former Crap-Bander it's a true delight!!!  Its amazing how hard it is not to drink and eat at the same time, that was really difficult, if you drank too close to eating...

With the lap-band and RNY you can't, but you can with the DS.  You should do your research, this is a really great tool!  Nothing is perfect however, so get the facts at www.dsfacts.com.

Good luck!

Nothing will change if you don't have the courage to change it!
      And stop calling me "Shirley!"    
Valerie G.
on 8/7/12 10:19 pm, edited 8/7/12 10:21 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA
YES -- but it's challenging at first, because the stomach is so tiny. There are no worries about washing anything out, because your plyoric valve is in charge there. It's just a matter of real estate.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Nicolle
on 8/8/12 2:56 am
I drink with every meal, almost between every bite. It's always been my way.

Liquid CAN make you feel full sooner (famous "dieting" advice, right?), so make sure you are getting in enough protein.

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

Generic User_Name
on 8/8/12 2:57 am
 Yes you can eat and drink at the same time.  As others have said, initially, you will want to save your precious new tummy room for protein.

cwejmom
on 8/8/12 3:18 am
I am 2 years post, but even early on I HAD to drink.  I tried to just sip.

Another myth is that you can't have soda.  My surgeon told me just to ice it down to take out some of the carbonization.

Early on, though, water water water.  ; )

Mindy G
Starting Weight 300  Current Weight 140
2 Years Post DS
MG 
2 Years Post Surgery 
St Wt. 300lbs  Current Wt. 140